The best books you've read!

Discussion of anything related to various forms of media (ie. books, films, music, television).

The best books you've read!

Postby Verituuli » 17 Mar 2010, 08:48

Yah, here you can list the best books you've come across and read!
Please include title, author and preferably som info about the story (without spoiling it for people who are interested in it! xD) and... of course, your opinions of the book. If you feel like recommending it to someone, you may also do that.

Wehuu, so... what masterpieces have you read? :mrgreen:
Verituuli

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: The best books you've read!

Postby Richard » 19 Mar 2010, 06:46

The Dune series, by various authors:
I absolutely love these books. I know some people hate everything in it that is not written by Frank Herbert, but that is mostly because they do not contain as much action, rather than something appealing to your intellect. I prefer the newer books, especially God-Emperor of Dune, which contains my favourite character (Leto Atreides II). Well, the story is rather vast and convoluted, but it is mostly a sci-fi novel about the Atreides family lineage and their struggle against or alongside the warring factions of the universe. There is really little more to say than "Read it!" You will not regret it.

The Lord of the Rings, by John Ronald Renuel Tolkien:
Yeah, I know, everyone saw the movie. So everyone knows that it is the story of a dangerous ring with the power to bring the world into eternal darkness and such. But until you have read the books, please do not call yourself big fans. Real fans read the book, preferably first.

The Discworld series, by Terry Patchett:
Another long and utterly insane story. These are easily some of the funniest books I have ever read, and Terry Pratchett is an amazing author. Read them, and you will find yourselves rolling on the floor, laughing.

I might think of some more...
"... for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no new horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace."

- H.P. Lovecraft

This user has been permanently banned as of the 25th of April 2010.
Richard

Postby Tsuroerusu » 20 Mar 2010, 00:36

I don't read a lot of books, however the one that I remember the strongest is one I read at school called The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton. I also really like the Twelve Kingdoms by Fuyumi Ono.
President of the United European Pokémon Communities
PokémonForumets ordförande
Tsuroerusu
President of the Union
President of the Union

Postby Cool Ivysaur » 20 Mar 2010, 15:13

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende.

Definitely.

Another one(classic) is Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe.
Cool Ivysaur
Member of the Community Council
Member of the Community Council

Postby Edward » 14 Apr 2010, 23:42

Some of the best books I've read are part of the Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey.
I think my favorite trilogy to this day is the Last Herald Mage series. I bought all three at once because they had been recommended to me and the online reviews were great; then I started the first book (Magic's Pawn) and hated it: Vanyel, the protagonist, was a whiny emo brat and the only thing the book was good for was making fun of it, which I did, at length.
Years passed, the books had begun to collect a nice layer of dust on my shelf. Then a friend showed me that there's beautiful songs about the books, which actually made me give them another try. I'll never regret doing that. After the first half of the first book I was glued to the pages, unable to put the book down. The end of the third book, despite being a good ending as far as those exist, made me cry.
If you don't mind your protagonist being gay, I definitely recommend the series. Or try any Valdemar novel, really, they're all brilliant in their own way.

Another book that every fantasy fan should have read, in my opinion, is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I dont even know where to begin to praise this book; the author managed to create a deep, believable world and a fascinating concept of 'magic'. The protagonist is lovable yet not the kind of person you'd picture yourself to be. Kvothe is special. He's incredibly talented and has some very special and some very mundane problems. Like, what mystical power killed my parens and how do I approach that weird girl I like?
I don't want to take one word away from the plot by summoning it up, but I highly suggest you go and buy this book. Today.

I know these aren't actual "reviews" in any sense of the word. I personally hate to know anything about the plot or characters before I start a book, yet I want to know whether I'll like it. XD I rely almost solely on recommendations from people who know what I like.

~Edward, book worm
Edward

Postby Bow Artist3 » 19 Apr 2010, 17:04

I pretty much liked "gelöscht" by Marco Kunst, but i don't think you will like it too, because its written in german. ^^
Shiny Chaining Guide (deutsch|english) | Scherox [Analyse] (deutsch)
If someone could translate my german scizor analysis into english, i would be happy. ^^
Bow Artist3

Postby Amecareth » 08 Aug 2010, 18:07

The books i preferred are the series Chronicles of Krondor by R.E Feist.

I read nearly all the series and i just finished the second book of Darkwar saga.

Its really surprising.
The fact the series is so long (about 20 books) proves it's quality.

I Really liked The Belgariad and the Mallory cycles by David Eddings.

An recently Emerald knights by Anne Robillard.
fragment du seigneur des cauchemars
reviens du royaume des cieux
et entre dans mon esprit
Unissons nos pouvoirs et nos corps
Ensemble marchons sur la voie de la destruction
et transperçons tout, même les âmes des Dieux!

LAGUNA BLADE!

Image Image Image
Amecareth

Postby Hell-Hunter » 08 Aug 2010, 19:40

@Edward: Great to have another person who likes fantasy books. I'll search if there are any Dutch translations of those books you mentioned :) I don't mind reading in English, but reading in my mother-tongue hooks me just that tiny bit more.

On topic:

I'll use the English titles for your convenience.

Probably the best books I've ever read are from Dann Simmons. As far as I know, the English titles are the same as the Dutch ones.

The first part of the best series I've read so far is called Hyperion. The story takes place around 2900, in which mankind has left their own, destroyed planet and discovered about 250 new planets in outer space. All the other life on those planets has either been killed to make place for their homes, or left in peace because it was too dangerous or strange. One planet stands out as a strange one, the planet Hyperion. On this planet lives a monstrosity called "the Shrike". That's pretty much what the first two parts about this series are about.

The other two parts take place approximately 300 years later. That's pretty much all I know about it, because those books haven't been translated to Dutch yet. And it is kinda strange to read the first books in Dutch, and the last books in English, isn't it?

Well, I'll stop for know. I might add some other books someday.

~HH
Hell-Hunter

Postby Kirluu » 18 Aug 2010, 20:31

Must say, the best book I've ever read is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It's just filled with so much info, and so much revealing about strange actions in the previous books. I was completely extatic once I had finished the book. All tripping and everything. Absurdly awesome series, I must admit. :D Looking forward to the movie as well, ofc. Thinking about maybe reading it again, but then I have to buy it first. (I borrowed it to read it the first time) Then I'll get it in English, since I've read all the books in Danish, and a lot of stuff really didn't come out so well in Danish xD

I guess I should just buy all 7 at once, like... In a pack, but I like books better when they have hard backs and fronts, not those soft things that bend just as much as the actual pages. Those things are a disgrace to modern books, and a fail way to try and save money. IMO.

Well, yeah. Then there's a lot of other books I read the half of and got tired of, but the fact that I (Even though it took some years when counting all my getting-tired-of breaks) finished all the Harry Potter books means that it, for me at least, is really something worth reading. It is after all a very complex world, and it must have taken a lot to come up with all of it :O

Kirluu~
A lot less online than usual.
Meanies Out Delivering Sentences
Kirluu

Postby Aeolian » 20 Aug 2010, 18:12

Bookwise, Al Murrays books are amazing. Theyre really funny. His "Self Help" book comes up with all these wacky ways to help yourself to different things. its brilliant.

Harry potter has also been a favourite of mine, ive read every book twice i love it that much :L
cant wait for the films.

finally; the twilight series has kept me pretty hooked, and i know yourthinking "EH? A boy likes twilight?" well i do and im proud of it. xD nah the series is really quite good once u get into it.
Aeolian

Next

Return to Media