Which book are you reading at the moment?

Discussion of anything related to various forms of media (ie. books, films, music, television).

Which book are you reading at the moment?

Postby PokémonTrainer » 25 Feb 2010, 18:20

Which book are you reading at the moment?

I'm reading 'Schoolstrijd' from Theo Engelen for my book report. It's a very nice book about school, full of tension. I like it a lot. I'm reading that book because we get a guest-lesson from Theo Engelen at school. :)
User avatar
PokémonTrainer
 
Posts: 72
Joined: 23 Feb 2010, 17:34
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands (nl)
Gender: Male

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Which book are you reading at the moment?

Postby Tsuroerusu » 25 Feb 2010, 18:44

If audiobooks count, I plan on "reading" the Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx one of these days. I also plan on going to the library to find a book by Danish MP Ole Sohn called Jeg kommer snart hjem (I'll be home soon) about a Danish family who emigrated to Russia around 100 years ago or so, and about the things they experienced. Other things I'd like to read are like Montesquieu and Rousseau from the Age of Enlightenment.
President of the United European Pokémon Communities
PokémonForumets ordförande
User avatar
Tsuroerusu
President of the Union
President of the Union
 
Posts: 427
Joined: 17 Dec 2009, 15:02
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
Country: Denmark (dk)
Gender: Male

Re: Which book are you reading at the moment?

Postby Yellow Rayquaza » 25 Feb 2010, 20:42

Tsuroerusu wrote:If audiobooks count, I plan on "reading" the Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx one of these days.

Now I got worried about the future of this forum. :DD (Just kidding.)

I´m reading nothing atm, the last book I read was Donald Duk by Frank Chin (it was in English).
Welcome to the United European Pokémon Communities!
User avatar
Yellow Rayquaza
Finnish Moderator
Finnish Moderator
 
Posts: 563
Joined: 05 Jan 2010, 18:41
Location: Tampere, Finland
Country: Finland (fi)
Gender: Male

Re: Which book are you reading at the moment?

Postby Tsuroerusu » 25 Feb 2010, 21:34

Yellow Rayquaza wrote:
Tsuroerusu wrote:If audiobooks count, I plan on "reading" the Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx one of these days.

Now I got worried about the future of this forum. :DD (Just kidding.)

LOL, Comrade Marco (Hey that sounds kinda neat!) we shall look to the future! :lol: :D

Some of my favorite articles on Wikipedia are these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-presidential_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_system

Also, one thing I'd love to see on Wi-Fi, just to mess with the Americans, is for somebody to breed a Shiny Gyarados and nickname it "Marx" just to mess with people! :lol:
President of the United European Pokémon Communities
PokémonForumets ordförande
User avatar
Tsuroerusu
President of the Union
President of the Union
 
Posts: 427
Joined: 17 Dec 2009, 15:02
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
Country: Denmark (dk)
Gender: Male

Re: Which book are you reading at the moment?

Postby Richard » 25 Feb 2010, 21:57

Tsuroerusu wrote:LOL, Comrade Marco (Hey that sounds kinda neat!) we shall look to the future! :lol: :D


In Soviet Russia, future look to you.

Anyways... Currently reading "The Call of Cthulhu and other weird tales" by H.P. Lovecraft. And I have to say, it is SO much better in the original language, although it is quite heavy reading.

Also, I am chewing through the Eagle series by Simon Scarrow. Quite entertaining.
"... for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no new horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace."

- H.P. Lovecraft

This user has been permanently banned as of the 25th of April 2010.
User avatar
Richard
 
Posts: 122
Joined: 17 Jan 2010, 21:11
Location: Horsens, Denmark
Gender: Male

Re: Which book are you reading at the moment?

Postby Tsuroerusu » 25 Feb 2010, 22:01

Richard wrote:
Tsuroerusu wrote:LOL, Comrade Marco (Hey that sounds kinda neat!) we shall look to the future! :lol: :D


In Soviet Russia, future look to you.

Indeed, which is why I might be reading Marx and not Lenin or Trotsky's stuff, I have no interest in anything like the Soviet Union. ;)
President of the United European Pokémon Communities
PokémonForumets ordförande
User avatar
Tsuroerusu
President of the Union
President of the Union
 
Posts: 427
Joined: 17 Dec 2009, 15:02
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
Country: Denmark (dk)
Gender: Male

Re: Which book are you reading at the moment?

Postby Richard » 25 Feb 2010, 22:12

Well, I can nothing but agree with your ideals, though I have problems seeing Communism work in reality... But that is a different story entirely.
"... for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no new horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace."

- H.P. Lovecraft

This user has been permanently banned as of the 25th of April 2010.
User avatar
Richard
 
Posts: 122
Joined: 17 Jan 2010, 21:11
Location: Horsens, Denmark
Gender: Male

Re: Which book are you reading at the moment?

Postby Tsuroerusu » 25 Feb 2010, 22:30

Richard wrote:Well, I can nothing but agree with your ideals, though I have problems seeing Communism work in reality... But that is a different story entirely.

Well, depends on how you define communism anyway, there's a thousand definitions, depending on one's ideological standpoint. Also I read (To keep the discussion flow and topic) a great article recently that said:

Socialism builds on the aspirations of the Enlightenment, so succinctly contained in the slogan of liberty, fraternity and equality. But it recognizes that genuine freedom is only possible on the basis of genuine social equality. This does not mean that everyone has to be equal in every respect (which is what I thought socialism was about when I was 14) – even if we wanted it [which i don't think most of us do], such a thing is impossible.
What it does mean is that the rights of society and of the people as a whole have to supersede the rights of individuals to accumulate unlimited amounts of wealth and power.
President of the United European Pokémon Communities
PokémonForumets ordförande
User avatar
Tsuroerusu
President of the Union
President of the Union
 
Posts: 427
Joined: 17 Dec 2009, 15:02
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
Country: Denmark (dk)
Gender: Male

Re: Which book are you reading at the moment?

Postby Richard » 25 Feb 2010, 22:37

And this is why I rarely ever debate politics with someone who really knows what they are talking about... They often end up winning in a debate against me.

No, but it also means that lots of labour that could have been used in its own country ends up heading for India, China or some other country where no such equalities exist - India is an extreme example, actually. About 1 % of the people in India are extremely wealthy, the rest are living in filth. And if those with money are not forced to sharing with those who do not have as much, it will never even out. And so, those with large amounts finances in the more wealthy European countries, for example, can just move their factories and house over there, because no one in India forces them to share their wealth.

And so, workspaces are lost in those countries, and we are forced to raise the taxes again...

What I am trying to say is, that socialism only works, if it is applied to everything in general. otherwise, people can just move (Which, sad as it is, actually hurts the economy).
"... for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no new horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace."

- H.P. Lovecraft

This user has been permanently banned as of the 25th of April 2010.
User avatar
Richard
 
Posts: 122
Joined: 17 Jan 2010, 21:11
Location: Horsens, Denmark
Gender: Male

Re: Which book are you reading at the moment?

Postby Tsuroerusu » 26 Feb 2010, 16:32

Richard wrote:And this is why I rarely ever debate politics with someone who really knows what they are talking about... They often end up winning in a debate against me.

No, but it also means that lots of labour that could have been used in its own country ends up heading for India, China or some other country where no such equalities exist - India is an extreme example, actually. About 1 % of the people in India are extremely wealthy, the rest are living in filth. And if those with money are not forced to sharing with those who do not have as much, it will never even out. And so, those with large amounts finances in the more wealthy European countries, for example, can just move their factories and house over there, because no one in India forces them to share their wealth.

And so, workspaces are lost in those countries, and we are forced to raise the taxes again...

What I am trying to say is, that socialism only works, if it is applied to everything in general. otherwise, people can just move (Which, sad as it is, actually hurts the economy).

To not deviate this topic further, I will respond to you over PM.


Also, another thing I am reading is a Japanese (In English obviously) light novel called The Twelve Kingdoms.
President of the United European Pokémon Communities
PokémonForumets ordförande
User avatar
Tsuroerusu
President of the Union
President of the Union
 
Posts: 427
Joined: 17 Dec 2009, 15:02
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
Country: Denmark (dk)
Gender: Male

Next

Return to Media




cron