How to play Pokémon TCG.

Discussion of everything related to the Pokémon Trading Card Game.

How to play Pokémon TCG.

Postby DoubleSoul » 27 Dec 2009, 16:01

Hey eveyone.
I've just translated a danish guide on how to play the TCG to English and here it is.
I Hope you enjoy it (;

1. Make a 60 card deck.

2. Shuffle the deck with care.

3. Shake hands with the opponent and introduce yourself.

4. Ask the opponent if he/she wants to cut your deck. To Cut the deck is when you divide it in 2 and takes the lower part and put in on top.

5. Take the top 7 cards. This is your hand.

6. Check if you got Muligan. Muligan is when you have no Basic Pokémon nor Fossils on your hand. If you got Muligan then go to point 7 if not then go to point 8.

7. Show your hand to your opponent and shuffle the hand into your deck. Then repeat the actions from point 4 and forward.

8. Put your Active Pokémon, the one you want to start with, close to the middle of the table, also the backside of the card is pointing up.

9. If you got more Pokémons or Fossils in your hand you can put them on a horizontal line beneath the Active Pokémon, it is called the Bench. Remember that you can only have 5 cards on the Bench.

10. Put the next 6 cards in the deck on your left side, these are the Prize Cards. Those should also be upside down.

11. Now put the rest of the deck on your right side. If your opponent got Muligan then go to point 12, if not go to point 13.

12. You may draw a card for every Muligan that your opponent has. Though, if both of you got Muligan, do not draw any cards.

13. You dicide with your opponent who shall flip the Coin.

14. The one who does not flip the Coin sais if he/she wants Head or Tails. Head is the side with a pokémon on it, the one without a pokémon is Tails. The other player gets what is left.

15. Reveal your cards by turning the front so it is facing your faces.

16. The one who won the cointoss draws a card from the deck and does one(or more) of the following things to do:
Put a Basic Pokémon on the Bench.
Use a Poké-Power.
Use a Pokébody.
Play an energycard and put it under a Pokémon or a Fossil(Only once per turn)

17. Attack the opponents Active Pokémon. This can only be done if you got the required energies that shall be used for the attack. Remember to check Weakness and Resistance of the opponents Active Pokémon.

18. If the opponents Pokémon is Knock Outed(the damage is higher than the HP) the one who has not lost a pokémon draws one of the 6 Prize Cards on the left. If the Active Pokémon was KO'ed then put one of the Benched Pokémon as the Active.

19. The next player draws a card.

20. The player does one(or more) of the following things:
Retreat the Active Pokémon(Once per turn)
Attach an Energycard on a Pokémon or Fossil(Once per turn)
Use a Trainer Card.
Use a Stadium Card(Once per turn)
Use a Supporter Card(Once per turn)
Put a Basic Pokémon on the Bench
Use a Poké-Power.
Use a Pokébody.

21. If your Active Pokémon is Asleep or Paralyzed you end your turn. If there is none of those the user can attack the opponent. Though, if the user is Confused, flip a Coin. If Head the attack goes through. If Tails the user puts 3 Damagecounters on his/her Active Pokémon.

22. If a Pokémon should be Knock Outed, the player who did not loose a pokémon draws a Prize Card on his/her left side. If the Active Pokémon was KO'ed then put one of the Benched Pokémon as the Active.

23. The next player draws a card.

24. The player does one(or more) of the following things:
Retreat the Active Pokémon(Once per turn)
Attach an Energycard on a Pokémon or Fossil(Once per turn)
Use a Trainer Card.
Use a Stadium Card(Once per turn)
Use a Supporter Card(Once per turn)
Put a Basic Pokémon on the Bench
Use a Poké-Power.
Use a Pokébody.

25. Repeat point 21 to 24 until one of the players runs out of Prize Cards or he/she has no more Pokémon in play. The one who has no more Prize Cards or the one who has Pokémon in play wins the game.

26. Shake hands and thank the opponent for the match. Also you could give the opponent advice on how to make the deck better.

Made by MP @ Poketeam.dk

Between Turns:
If the Active Pokémon is Poisoned, put 1 damagecounter on it between turns.
If the Active Pokémon is Burned, flip a Coin. If Head, nothing happens. If Tails put 2 damagecounters on the Active Pokémon.
If the Active Pokémon is Asleep, flip a Coin. If Head, the Pokémon is no longer Asleep. If Tails, the Pokémon is still Asleep.

Man that took some time!

Also, there is a demo to watch, which explains it in an easier way: http://www.go-pokemon.com/tcg/howtoplay/demo/
Last edited by DoubleSoul on 30 Dec 2009, 16:08, edited 2 times in total.
~ DoubleSoul [DoubleSoul @ PokeTeam.dk] - ArenaLeader @ PokeTeam.dk
DoubleSoul

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: How to play Pokémon The Card Game.

Postby Kamui » 29 Dec 2009, 19:15

The demo on the official website explains pretty much everything.
http://www.go-pokemon.com/tcg/howtoplay/demo/

(A side question: Does anyone know any online game/application for Pokemon TCG? The last Pokemon TCG was for GBC...)
Kamui

Postby DoubleSoul » 29 Dec 2009, 19:30

Yerh i know about the demo and it's pretty good, i just tranlated a danish guide though :P

For the Online TCG qustion i can tell you that Pokebeach made a program some time ago called RedShark. It's pretty good but i don't really like the online system on it :/
Btw, it can be played online and single player(vs yourself)
DoubleSoul

Postby Kirluu » 29 Dec 2009, 19:51

Wow, I just went through that demo, and now I'm like... Searching all over my house for pokémon cards XD

I thought that Pokémon The Card Game would be way more difficult for some reason... Maybe that's just because the last time I tried learning about it was like 7-8-9 years ago XD
A lot less online than usual.
Meanies Out Delivering Sentences
Kirluu

Postby Kamui » 29 Dec 2009, 19:54

Yeah its a pretty fun game. I also learnt how to play it few days ago, lol.

Redshark seems to be not the kind of system I had imagined. But thanks anyway DoubleSoul.
Kamui

Postby Tsuroerusu » 29 Dec 2009, 20:45

I thought this would be really useful for the future, so I made this a sticky topic. :D
President of the United European Pokémon Communities
PokémonForumets ordförande
Tsuroerusu
President of the Union
President of the Union

Postby Kirluu » 29 Dec 2009, 20:53

IMO the demo helps even more in virtualizing the games functioning, so perhabs, for people who only read the latest replys and the starttopic, the link for the demo, should be perspectively put in the firstpost? x3

I just found the demo more usefull in picturing it all x3 Since it actually showed pictures, LOL XD
A lot less online than usual.
Meanies Out Delivering Sentences
Kirluu

Re: How to play Pokémon TCG.

Postby Munlax » 30 Dec 2009, 19:42

I am so bad to TCG, last time i was in a trunament. I did lose in all the battles >__<
Thanks to Diamon from Poketeam.dk
Munlax

Re: How to play Pokémon TCG.

Postby DoubleSoul » 30 Dec 2009, 19:54

Munlax wrote:I am so bad to TCG, last time i was in a trunament. I did lose in all the battles >__<

Well that happened to me too when i started playing. But i began to collect some cards and buy them online and now i've become way better : D
DoubleSoul

Return to Pokémon Trading Card Game