Is this forum "dead"?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fit into other categories.

Is this forum "dead"?

Postby Exabytez » 22 Aug 2012, 13:37

Well, I watched at the user statistics of the last days and stuff, which lead me to the fear that this forum is "dead" or only visited for bigger events. Was this always the case? I ask as I saw the maximum of 199 people browsing this forums in 2010 which probably is a bit low for a forum that should represent the European Pokemon community.
This should not be offensive or so, I just think that it is sad to see a European forum, but only very few people using it.
So was this always the case? Are there any statistics to analyse it? Or ways of improving the situation? Or was the purpose of the forum always to unite people at bigger events (autumn WiFi tournent etc.) only?

Greetings,
Exabytez

UEPC Tournament Administrator / PokémonExperte Moderator
Exabytez
Administrator
Administrator

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Is this forum "dead"?

Postby Tsuroerusu » 22 Aug 2012, 15:13

Exabytez wrote:Well, I watched at the user statistics of the last days and stuff, which lead me to the fear that this forum is "dead" or only visited for bigger events.

Recently, that has unfortunately been the case.

Exabytez wrote:Was this always the case?

During the first year of UEPC's existence we used to have more activity, but not anything extraordinary, unfortunately. However, a combination of personal problems among in the lives of staff members (Myself included), some management issues, and some other issues, it fizzled out.

Exabytez wrote:I ask as I saw the maximum of 199 people browsing this forums in 2010 which probably is a bit low for a forum that should represent the European Pokemon community.

That actually is not a real number, that was a bot-attack we had in 2010. When we did out Summer 2010 tournament we had a big number around 80 or so if I remember correctly.

I agree with you, as the founder of UEPC, I had hoped that we could have garnered more interest, or at least have established a core userbase (Like I had imagined maybe 1 - 4 Danes, 1 - 4 Swedes, 10 - 15 Germans, 8 Spaniards, 5 Italians etc.), that would be consistently active. However, we never really reached that "critical mass", unfortunately, and to be completely honest with you, I am not at all sure how to get there. It is somewhat discouraging, as I have seen websites (Not limited to Pokemon sites) that are extremely badly managed (I will not mention any names), have quite a lot of activity, and we have strived to build a structure and way of leadership that espouses justness and clear rules, but also fairness, and generally being inclusive in decision-making. We have of course made a few mistakes, most web sites do at some point in their existence, however I have personally tried everything I can possibly think of, such as creating a forum that works well, is well maintained, giving people two rationales to use it (Having both English-language sections and national sections), I even spent several hundreds euros of my own money to have actual brand new games for prizes in prior tournaments, but none of it seems to have really caught on.

However, I personally look at it like this. the UEPC is two things. 1. a forum, 2. and organisation of Pokemon communities. The latter generally seems to function quite well, because we are indeed able to mobilise Pokemon communities from Helsinki to London to Athens for big tournament events, so that part is fairly successful. However it would appear that people in the bigger countries of Europe prefer to hang out with their own countrymen on their own national Pokemon sites. We Scandinavians generally want to hang out with other Europeans, either because of genuine interest or because we are forced to because of our small size populations (And thus small numbers of Pokemon fans), which also explains why Scandinavia was the primary force in getting UEPC off the ground in 2009 along with Bisafans.

Exabytez wrote:This should not be offensive or so

Do not worry, I like to think that the person who denies reality is the person who fails to see reality, so I do not take your comments as offensive.

Exabytez wrote:I just think that it is sad to see a European forum, but only very few people using it.

I appreciate that sentiment a lot, as the founder, I would like to see it have somewhat more success as a forum.

Exabytez wrote:So was this always the case?

Yes and no. As I said, during the beginning we had more activity, for example the German and Finnish language sections were fairly active, however then it sort of fizzled out. I guess an analogy would be that it was sort of like fireworks on new year's eve, it shined brightly for a little bit, and then it disappeared.

Exabytez wrote:Are there any statistics to analyse it?

My web hosting provider does give me statistics, I do not know off the top of my head if it has kept records all the way from December 2009 when I started the UEPC.

Exabytez wrote:Or ways of improving the situation?

As I said, I have tried everything I can personally think of, I have put a lot of hard work and money into trying to create something that would truly benefit Pokemon players in Europe, however, I must say I am at a complete loss of ideas, because I genuinely feel I have tried everything.

Exabytez wrote:Or was the purpose of the forum always to unite people at bigger events (autumn WiFi tournent etc.) only?

No, the purpose was to try create a pan-European sphere among Pokemon fans in Europe. I think I might have slightly underestimated the language barriers, however given how bad some native English-speakers (European or not) are at English, they still manage to communicate, so I do not think it is primarily language barriers that prevents say a German person from speaking to Finnish person.

In my country, and Scandinavia in general, we have the problems of the Pokemon communies here being extremely small, sometimes less than 50 people show up for national tournaments, be it the TCG or DS games, so we are not able to contribute that many people, that goes for my own country, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway we have never really managed to reach because of Bergsala's (The Scandinavian distributor of Nintendo games) official forum (Which has a super monopoly on everything going on in Norway, nobody uses anything else it seems) and they do not cooperate with anybody, so most Norwegian players do not know UEPC exists.
President of the United European Pokémon Communities
PokémonForumets ordförande
Tsuroerusu
President of the Union
President of the Union

Return to Other Stuff